Our Response to Covid-19
At The Independence, the safety and well-being of our guests, our team and our community are what is most important to us. We are open to guests for reservations and we are taking all the necessary precautions to keep our guests and staff safe and to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Human connection and a sense of adventure are at the heart of who we are. While this hasn’t changed, the impact of COVID-19 has increased our creativity and resolve and it has made us appreciate even more the strong connection we share with our guests and partners.
Sometimes the only way through a tough situation, is straight through it. While there are still a lot of unknowns about when and how “life as normal” will resume, we are here, and ready to welcome you back!
State and County Travel Guidance and Restrictions
The Governor and the Oregon Health Authority have provided a framework to reduce the escalation of COVID-19 in Oregon.
At The Independence Hotel, we keep informed on the latest guidance and restrictions that are updated every two weeks.
As of December 3rd, here is a summary of information relevant statewide and for Polk Country:
- All Oregonians and visitors to Oregon are reminded to:
- Wear a mask in public
- Distance 6 ft from others while in public
- Keep gatherings to small groups (6 or less and nor more than two households)
- Wash Hands
- Stay home if sick
- Indoor Dining Restricted to 25% capacity for Bars, Restaurants, Tasting Rooms: very limited in-door dining and limited outdoor dining, take-out, and delivery are allowed at nearby restaurants. Many restaurants remain closed to in-door dining, the front desk keeps an active list of options for our guests.
- Territory, our Restaurant is Closed, but continues to provide excellent “to-go” breakfast options for hotel guests. The front desk can guide you to local restaurants providing take-out, delivery, or outdoor dining.
- Many Willamette Valley Wineries are open for Outdoor Wine Tasting, others are “pick-up only”, for a list of wineries open by County: Willamette Valley Wineries Association.
At The Independence Hotel:
- We remain open to serve you and are committed to your health and safety, as well as the health and safety of our team, including contact-less check-in, and robust cleaning procedures.
- We are an essential services provider to businesses and government and are available if it would be helpful to achieve adequate social and physical distancing for your work and family needs.
Cleanliness and Safety Precautions
We have always taken standards for hygiene and cleanliness very seriously. Now, we are taking additional steps to ensure the safety of our guests and our team members.
- Face Coverings: Both our staff and our guests are currently required to wear masks while in-doors. Forgot yours? No worries, we have you covered. Just ask for one at the front desk of the hotel or restaurant.
- Disinfectant: We use the highest classification of disinfectants recommended by the Center for Disease Control and World Health Organization.
- Check-in Our main doors are automatic, for a “no-touch” entry and exit, our guestroom keys are sanitized after each guest stay and will be ready for you to pick up at the front desk.
- Public Spaces: We have increased the frequency of cleaning and disinfecting in public spaces, with a focus on the counter at the front desk, elevators and elevator buttons, door handles, and public bathrooms. You’ll see hand sanitizing stations near the front desk and elevator lobby.
- Social Distancing: We will be using signage in our lobby and public spaces to remind guests to maintain social distancing protocols and will remove or re-arrange furniture to allow more space for distancing.
- Guest Rooms: We use enhanced cleaning and disinfecting protocols to clean guestrooms and doorknobs after each guest departs and before the next guest arrives, with particular attention paid to high-touch and deep clean areas – light switches, door handles, TV remotes, thermostats and more. As always, our linens and towels, including the bed’s top cover, are laundered between each stay. Amenities not easily sanitized, like paper pads will be removed and available per request.
- Fitness Center and Hot Tub: Will be available one party at a time, with reservation to allow for cleaning between each use. Subject to local public health orders and recommendations.
- Food Safety: Our in-house restaurant, Territory is currently open for in-house, patio, and takeout. Our outdoor patio and large dining room allow for distant seating and guests can pick up food to go and enjoy in their rooms or at the adjacent city park. At Territory, food handlers and supervisors are trained on safe food preparation and service practices. We offer made to order breakfast for guests for pick-up or delivery.
- Back of House: In the spaces where our staff work “behind the scenes”, we are employing social distancing protocols and increasing the frequency of cleaning and focusing on high-touch areas.
- Staff Health, Safety and Knowledge: Our team receives daily updates and training on keeping themselves and our guests safe, including: Social distancing, hand washing hygiene, safety protocols and frequent updates on best practices from the CDC and local authorities.
Territory Restaurant Closure and Expansion
Our restaurant, Territory is temporarily closed, but we have good news!
Construction is underway to expand our riverside patio and add a rooftop bar with stunning views of the Willamette River! We are covering our patio with a permanent, sliding glass enclosure (again, the views!), that will allow for open air or covered dining, this means more tables, ample outdoor seating options, and year-round waterfront dining with protection from the elements (you know, the occasional rain shower or wind gust).
For our hotel guests, we continue to provide a complimentary made-to-order breakfast “to go”, and we’ll happily point you toward dining options nearby, including takeout and delivery for lunch and dinner.
Long Term Stays
COVID-19 has disrupted the best-made plans and some of us may need to be out of the house for physical distancing, for workspace, or for maintaining sanity.
Please contact us for booking and ask about our suites with more space, full-size refrigerators, and kitchen sinks. In addition to our comforting safety protocols, we are lucky to have multiple, wide riverfront pathways in the park just outside our doors, and a dramatically lower population density in our charming town of Independence.
Give us a call to book at 503-837-0200 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Wanderlust setting in? We’re pleased to help you plan a “can’t wait to getaway” future adventure with The Independence as your jumping off point. You can purchase a gift card for yourself, or one for a friend.
Give us a call 503-837-0200 or email email@example.com to purchase.
So much about normal life has been disrupted. For folks looking for a quiet, “socially distant” work space, we have you covered.
Our state-of-the-art, sanitized guestrooms are perfect individual offices for working while distancing.
Every room has:
- High speed internet
- Individual unit outside air circulation
- Desk work space
- Microwave, refrigerator and Keurig coffee maker
- Great views
- 45” flat screen TVs
- Contact-less food delivery to your door
- Easy access to our waterfront trail with wide pathways for safe exercise and fresh air, or visit our rooftop deck for incredible views of the Willamette River.
Book a room for the night with our special “WORKSPACE” code and we will give you a late check out to maximize your work hours, or give us a call 502-837-0200 to discuss office hour booking.
We miss you at The Independence Hotel! Human connection and a sense of adventure are at the heart of who we are, but so is resilience and innovation. While our affinity for human connection hasn’t changed, the way we do it has to adapt and evolve.
In the spirit of human creativity and ingenuity, we’ve boosted our social media with weekly contests and interactive content to help keep you connected and inspired for future visits.